A very common eye infection often termed as “pink eye”, conjunctivitis is a swelling of the conjunctiva on the eye. This conjunctiva is the thin, clear covering that lines the inner surface of the eyelid and also covers the white part of the eye. This infection is common in children and can affect one or both eyes. A very potent and organic remedy which can be used to treat conjunctivitis is Cannabidiol or CBD. This remedy is safe and is well known for its anti-inflammatory properties. Let us know more about conjunctivitis and how CBD can treat it.
What Are The Symptoms Of Conjunctivitis?
Some types of conjunctivitis are highly contagious and can spread from one person to others easily. The symptoms of conjunctivitis depend on the form of conjunctivitis you have.
1. Viral Conjunctivitis leads to symptoms such as watery and itchy eyes, sensitivity to light. It is highly contagious and can be spread by sneezing and coughing.
2. Bacterial Conjunctivitis can result in a sticky yellowish eye discharge in the corner of the eye. It usually spreads by direct contact only. Also, the eyelids might stick together when you wake up.
3. Allergic conjunctivitis can result in watery, burning and itchy eyes. It affects both the eyes and is not contagious.
What Causes Conjunctivitis?
Based on the types, the causes of conjunctivitis differs.
1. Viral Conjunctivitis can be caused by majorly by viruses like the common cold.
2. Bacterial Conjunctivitis can be caused by bacteria and cause serious damage to the eye if not treated properly.
3. Allergic Conjunctivitis can be caused by eye irritants such as shampoos, smoke, dirt, and pollen.
Fungi, amoebas and parasites can also cause conjunctivitis.
How Can You Treat Conjunctivitis?
Treatment options for Pink Eye depend upon the form of conjunctivitis you have.
1. Viral Conjunctivitis
Usually takes a course of a few days to weeks to treat itself and there is no medical treatment recommended. Cold compresses and artificial tear options can be used to relieve the symptoms.
2. Bacterial Conjunctivitis
Can be relieved with antibiotic eye drops and ointments. This may take three to four days to improve.
3. Allergic Conjunctivitis
Since this form of conjunctivitis is caused by irritants, you must try to remove or avoid the irritants first. In mild cases, cool compresses and artificial tears can be used to relieve discomfort.
Non steroidal anti-inflammatory medications and antihistamines can be prescribed.
It is very important to keep your eyes clean and practice good hygiene to control the spread of conjunctivitis. You can follow these steps:
1. Wash your hands thoroughly before and after and before touching your eyes.
2. Wash your towels, washcloths, pillow cases after using and never share them with others.
3. Do not use a cold compress more than once. Use a different compress for each eye.
4. Try not to rub or touch the infected area. Limit the use of eyedrops to only a few days unless your doctor asks you to do so.
5. Protect Your Eyes from irritants such as dirt or smoke.
Using CBD For Conjunctivitis
Cannabidiol or CBD is a highly researched cannabinoid in the medical industry. This cannabinoid is well known for treating a plethora of health issues. Moreover, CBD oil is a non-psychoactive that is will not make you high at all.
Conjunctivitis can be a really painful and irritating condition, especially in kids. It also becomes frustrating for the parents to see their kids suffer from this problem. CBD being a natural reliever acts upon the root cause of the condition and provides relief within a few minutes of consumption or application. Let us see how can CBD help in relieving from Conjunctivitis:
CBD As Anti-Inflammatory
The major symptom of Conjunctivitis is an inflammation of the conjunctiva which needs to be taken care of quickly. CBD is well known for its anti-inflammatory properties and can be effectively used to reduce the swelling in conjunctivitis.
CBD is said to interact with the Endocannabinoid System of our body. This Endocannabinoid System helps in maintaining a balance by regulating body functions such as pain, immune system, appetite, mood and more. Thus, CBD interacts with the ECS receptors associated with these body functions and helps in relieving inflammation caused in Conjunctivitis.
CBD As A Pain Reliever
Itchy and painful eyes can also create problems in conjunctivitis. Cannabidiol can be used as a potent remedy to relieve pain related to this condition. The infected eye becomes fragile to the touch and may also ache. This cannabinoid can reduce the sensitivity to the pain.
CBD can effectively relieve mild to moderate pain associated with this condition. There have been studies that have shown the powerful effect of CBD in reducing chronic as well as acute pain.
How Can I Take CBD For Conjunctivitis?
CBD oil or Cannabidiol can be taken in a number of ways.
- You can take CBD oil sublingually i.e. place a drop of CBD oil under your tongue and swallow it after a minute.
- You can also apply CBD topicals such as CBD pain balms, CBD lotions, CBD creams on the affected eyelid. This CBD will get absorbed quickly and will provide an isolated relief in the pain and inflammation within a few minutes.
- CBD oil can also be mixed in your food items or drinks.
- You can also ingest CBD in the form of CBD capsules, CBD concentrates and more.
- Vaping CBD is another method of consuming CBD oil. In this method, CBD is vaped via vape pens for quicker relief.
Let us read how CBD has helped people:
This has helped me so much! I have had an incessant eye twitch for months that I was getting ready to go to the doctor about. I started using this CBD and it went away the second day!
Tracey B. (Full Spectrum Vape CBD)
I love the Pina Colada flavour! I’ve noticed a significant improvement in my mental health as well as reduced inflammation in my body. I would highly recommend Thoughtcloud to everyone!
Michelle (Full Spectrum Rubi Vape)
I’ve been using their products for almost a year now. I don’t notice any difference in my pain or anxiety. I do notice that I get very dry eyes from it. It does help with my overall mood though. I wish it had a more calming effect on me for my anxiety. Maybe I need to try a higher dose, but worry it will dry my eyes out more.
Final Thoughts On CBD For Conjunctivitis
Conjunctivitis is a highly contagious infection and can spread via sneezing or coughing. Therefore, it is very important to take care of your eyes and keep this infection away from you. Moreover, if you have caught conjunctivitis, then you should make sure you stop it from spreading and causing more problems. Taking CBD daily can be effective in relieving from this condition as it can treat most of its symptoms. You must also follow good hygiene and stop your infection from spreading to others.
We hope you liked this article on CBD For Conjunctivitis. Please let us know your suggestions in the comment section below.
Interesting Read: How Can CBD Help In Treating Skin Blisters