Over the last few years, the use of CBD has substantially increased. This is mainly due to the legalization of CBD products and acceptance of the medicinal properties it contains. Several states within the USA and many other countries worldwide have legalized CBD products, provided they contain less than 0.3% THC.
CBD is used by many to deal with symptoms of various conditions like chronic pain due to arthritis or cancer, anxiety and depression, and more.
In this article, we will look at how CBD can be helpful in the treatment of Piriformis syndrome.
What Is Piriformis Syndrome?
Piriformis syndrome is caused when the sciatic nerve is compressed or irritated as it passes under/through the Piriformis muscle. The piriformis muscle is one of the deep muscles in the buttock. The Piriformis muscle starts from the sacrum and runs laterally to insert onto the trochanter of the femur.
While standing, the piriformis muscle externally rotates the femur at the hip. However, due to muscle orientation, when the hip is flexed, the piriformis muscle reverses its functions and becomes an abductor and internal rotator of the femur.
What Are The Causes Of Piriformis Syndrome?
Piriformis syndrome is usually caused when the Piriformis muscle is overworked. This causes it to become fatigued and tightened and causes pressure on the underlying sciatic nerve. The most common causes of Piriformis syndrome are listed below:
- Women have a wider pelvis. Hence they are six times more likely to be affected by Piriformis syndrome than men.
- Pelvis/hip dysfunction – When standing on one leg, poor lateral stability creates excessive sideways movements of the pelvis. This movement overstretched the piriformis muscle causing it to get fatigued and develop trigger points.
- Poor core stability – The inability to stabilize our lumbopelvic region results in our body compensating by over engaging the gluteal muscles, resulting in Piriformis syndrome.
- Over pronating or flat feet – This creates a biomechanical misalignment through the lower limb and hip, resulting in excessive internal rotation of the femur. This places the piriformis in a constant lengthened or stretched position and can cause Piriformis syndrome.
- History of hip trauma or sciatic nerve pain, bulging discs, or other spinal problems can also lead to Piriformis syndrome.
What are the symptoms of Piriformis syndrome?
The symptoms experienced during Piriformis syndrome are caused by a spasm, tightening, or trigger points within the piriformis muscle, resulting in compression of the sciatic nerve.
Listed below are some of the common symptoms experienced during Piriformis syndrome:
- A deep ache through the buttock
- Numbness or tingling deep in the gluteal muscles and pain radiating down the back of the thigh. The numbness or tingling is usually experienced only on one side at a time.
- Pain can occur by applying firm pressure directly over the muscle. Activities such as prolonged sitting/walking, running, sitting on a car seat, and climbing stairs can also cause this pain.
- One might adopt a lopsided sitting position with the sore buttock tilted up to avoid pressure and subsequent pain, resulting in lower back pain.
- To shorten the piriformis muscle and ease tension in the area, you can adopt a change in gait pattern where the foot is turned outwards.
How can CBD help with Piriformis Syndrome?
As mentioned before, CBD has a ton of medicinal properties and can be used to deal with various neuropathic and nociceptive pain. Listed below are some of the benefits of CBD that can be helpful for Piriformis syndrome:
- Reduces pain: Piriformis Syndrome often leads to chronic pain caused by macrophages (vital sizeable white blood cells) present in the immune system that recognizes and eat various parasites, bacteria, and viruses. These macrophages reach a region where there is the secretion of cytotoxins and cytokines, leading to inflammation and irritation. CBD has analgesic properties that act on neurotransmitters, alleviating pain naturally.
- CBD also helps relieve pain by preserving Anandamide, an internal cannabinoid naturally produced by the body. When CBD enters the endocannabinoid system, it attaches to proteins and stops anandamide from disintegrating quickly. This means that CBD helps retain the anandamide molecules in the system for longer periods, enabling the ECS to regulate more effectively. CBD can also help lower the sensation of pain through nerve receptors TRPV1 and CB1.
- Helps reduce inflammation: The anti-inflammatory qualities of CBD help manage inflammation caused due to Piriformis Syndrome. When the body comes across irritation, it dispatches a group of invading immune cells to the region to eliminate any pathogens that might cause harm to the body. Too much inflammation can worsen the problem. This is where CBD comes into action. CBD raises the endocannabinoid 2-AG that works towards reducing the number of immune cells getting discharged in the body.
- Helps relax muscles: When chemical messengers are sent from the central nervous system to a muscle, the muscle is forced to contract. These excessive chemicals cannot be controlled without a correct supply of endocannabinoids. This leads to frequent involuntary muscle contractions. An inadequate supply of endocannabinoids can also cause a medical condition called Clinical Endocannabinoid Deficiency (CECD). CBD can directly impact the flow of chemical messengers by slowing them down, also boosting the body’s supply of endocannabinoids at the same time. This creates a two-fold impact, assisting with muscle relaxation and reducing spasticity. CBD also affects the elevated degrees of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF). CBD reduces it to create numbness, thus producing analgesia. Many studies have concluded that CBD contains muscular and vascular relaxants, thereby reducing muscle spasms along with inflammation.
Piriformis syndrome is not very common, but it can cause severe long-term problems to the people going through it. CBD, with its natural medicinal properties, can be an ideal match to deal with the symptoms of this disorder. However, you must consult your doctor before taking any CBD products, as CBD oil can negatively react with some of the medicines you might already be taking. If you are looking to buy CBD, we highly recommend ThoughtCloud for authentic and high-quality products!