Blood clots are beneficial for us when it comes to protecting us in response to an injury or a cut, helping in stopping the excessive bleeding. But these blood clots can sometimes turn out to be life-threatening as well. Some blood clots form inside our veins and don’t dissolve naturally thus causing severe problems. One such condition is Deep Vein Thrombosis or DVT, which is caused by a blood clot in a deep vein and can be life-threatening. According to the statistics, DVT records for almost one death every five minutes. Moreover, this condition also results in many permanent health issues. One of the natural treatments which comes from the industrial hemp known as CBD can be effectively used to treat DVT as it has no side effects and acts as a blood thinner as well. Today we will discuss DVT and how one can treat it naturally using CBD.
What Is Deep Vein Thrombosis?
A medical condition where a blood clot or thrombus builds up in a vein or artery is referred to as Thrombosis. When this blood clot grows inside a deep vein, mostly inside the lower leg, pelvis or thigh, it is referred to as Deep Vein Thrombosis. This condition can cause pain and swelling in the affected area, but can also have no symptoms at all.
DVT can result in a serious condition such as pulmonary embolism in which a piece of the blood clot breaks off in the bloodstream and goes to your lungs, blocking blood flow.
What Are The Causes Of DVT?
Anything that prevents your blood from circulating normally can cause DVT. This includes surgery, an injury to a vein, limited movement and medications.
Certain risk factors which can increase the risk of developing DVT include:
1. Having a family history of a blood clot or DVT
2. Not being active for long periods of time such as prolonged bed rest, travelling, sitting for a long time and paralysis
3. Any injury or surgery to your veins which can increase the risk of blood vessel
4. Obesity or being overweight
5. Inflammatory bowel disease
6. Heart Failure
7. Old age
8. Tobacco Smoking
What Can Be The Symptoms Of DVT?
DVT can occur with or without any significant symptoms. The clot arising from DVT leads to inflammation and discomfort in the injured area. Some of the symptoms of this condition include:
1. Skin redness, and inflammation around the affected area
2. The skin might also appear discolored
3. Pain and tenderness in the affected area (one of your legs usually calf)
4. Warm skin in the clot area
5. Inability to walk or do normal movements
How Can Deep Vein Thrombosis Be Treated?
The treatment options for DVT usually focus on preventing the clot from growing and future clots as well. Moreover, treatments are also focussed in relieving the symptoms of DVT.
Treatment Options for DVT include:
1. Anticoagulant medications: These will stop the blood from clotting too much and will also stop existing blood clots from becoming larger. These drugs can be injected or taken as pills. They do not break up existing blood clots.
2. Clot Busters: If other treatment options do not work, or you have a serious type of DVT, your doctor might prescribe clot busters or thrombolytics. These drugs break up clots quickly.
3. Filters: If you cannot take blood thinners, you might have a filter called the vena cava filter inserted into a large vein.
4. Compression Stockings: These stockings can be worn in your legs from your feet till your knees. They are worn to help in preventing the swelling associated with DVT.
Using CBD To Treat Deep Vein Thrombosis
Cannabidiol or CBD has been found as an effective and organic remedy to relieve the symptoms of DVT. CBD is extracted from the hemp plant and is completely non-psychoactive in nature that is it will not make you high. Moreover, it will also have no side effects. The benefits of CBD in treating DVT include:
CBD As Anticoagulant
CBD helps in breaking up blood clots and increase bleeding. Studies suggest that CBD display anticoagulant activity and restricts the generation of blood clots and prevents existing clots from enlarging in size.
CBD As Pain Reliever
One of the highly researched properties of CBD is its pain-relieving property. CBD is an analgesic compound and can be used to relieve pain arising in many health conditions. Pain in the affected area is also one of the symptoms of DVT and this pain can effectively be reduced with the help of CBD.
CBD As Anti-Inflammatory
CBD is said to work with the receptors present in the immune system of our body this helps in subsiding swelling, which is the most common symptom of DVT. This cannabinoid regulates the production of cytokines and helps in controlling the inflammation of the body. This remedy also helps in boosting our immune system and acting as an effective anti-bacterial agent thus fighting infection causing bacterias.
CBD Calms You:
Due to pain and inflammation in the affected area, you may have frequent mood swings and anxiety problems. This may also disrupt your sleep patterns. CBD is a well-known anti-anxiety and sleep-inducing agent. Adding CBD to your daily routine can calm you down and helps in relaxed and good night sleep. This cannabinoid triggers the serotonin receptors present in our brain and helps in relieving anxiety, and depression.
Final Thoughts on CBD For Deep Vein Thrombosis Prevention
From treating the pain and inflammation to acting as an anticoagulant, and antiproliferative remedy CBD possesses a lot of potential. Moreover, this cannabinoid can be consumed in a variety of ways. You can directly take CBD oil, mix CBD in your food, vape CBD oil or simply apply CBD on the affected area for maximum benefits.
Furthermore, this is safe and will also not have any side effect on you. You can start with CBD oil for thrombosis today and always remember consulting your doctor first.
We hope you liked this article on treating Deep Vein Thrombosis using CBD. If you have any suggestions for us or wish to tell us your CBD experience, please drop them in the comments section below!