CBD is not just one cannabinoid found in Cannabis plant. There are many other cannabinoids as well that are being researched for their potential uses and to research about each one can be a really difficult task as we still cannot predict an accurate number of these. But among these, there are six cannabinoids that have been considered as the big six cannabinoids as they are most common and have been researched for their medical applications. Let us find out what these most common cannabinoids are:
1. THC- Tetrahydrocannabinol
THC is the most common and highly researched cannabinoid found in the cannabis plant. It is found in most abundance in marijuana plant and has been researched up to a large extent.
This cannabinoid has intoxicating effects when consumed. It is found in high quantities in the raw plant material.
Tetrahydrocannabinol is said to be a very strong anti-inflammatory cannabinoid.
When THCa is heated, it is converted into Delta-9 THC which is said to produce the high or the psychoactive effects associated with marijuana consumption.
The reason behind this high is the binding of THC with the CB1 receptors present in the Endocannabinoid system of our brain. Effects such as euphoria, short-term memory impairment, dry eyes, dry mouth, increased appetite, etc. are some of the common side effects of this cannabinoid.
Benefits and Effects of THC
THC and its various forms have been researched extensively for their variety of health benefits such as treating chronic pain, treating inflammation, relieving muscle spasms, and acting as a muscle relaxant. It is a powerful neuroprotectant and antioxidant compound and has very strong anti-inflammatory properties.
THC has also been researched to fight leukaemia and shrink the tumors related to lung cancer. It is emerging as a new trend in showing some great medical potential.
2. CBD- Cannabidiol
This is another common and one of the most popular cannabinoids which are well-known for its extraordinary powers in treating various health issues. It can be used to treat a wide range of human diseases a few being anxieties, epilepsy, depression, appetite loss, Body pain and many more.
The best part about this CBD is its non-psychoactive nature. This will not make you high, unlike THC that has the properties to make one high.
The cannabidiolic acid that is CBDA is found in most abundant in the raw cannabis plant. This CBD is then decarboxylated to produce CBD.
Benefits and Effects of CBD:
CBD does not interact directly with the CB1 receptors in our body thus not producing any high or psychoactive effects. Instead, CBD prevents THC to activate the receptor and produce any high due to THC effects.
The benefits of CBD are noteworthy. It has been studied to treat a wide variety of issues and is well known for its anti-inflammatory properties.
The benefits of this cannabinoid are:
- Relieves from chronic pain
- Relieves from anxiety
- Mood Swings
- Helps control the frequency of seizures
- Acts as an antidepressant
- Helps in aiding sleep
- Fights cancer tumors as well as reduce the side-effects of cancer
- Treats Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s DiseaseTreats addiction, appetite loss, vomiting, and nausea.
CBG in another big cannabinoid which is gaining attention and is being researched for its various benefits. This is another non-psychoactive compound which is found in small concentrations in a cannabis plant. However, various studies have been done that show a variety of positive effects.
Benefits and Effects of Cannabigerol:
- The research so far on this cannabinoid is limited but recent studies have shown that it might prove beneficial in the treatment of various health issues.
- It has been promising in the treatment of Glaucoma.
- CBG has anti-inflammatory properties as well and can help in improving bowel disease and Crohn’s disease.
- It has also been researched that this cannabinoid has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties.
- A study published in 2016, showed that CBD can be beneficial in treating anxiety and depression.
CBN is essentially is produced from aged THC. When THC is exposed to air and light over time, that is oxidized it forms CBN.
This cannabinoid can definitely help you in sleeping and treat your sleeping problems as it is known for inducing a drowsy effect and can be used to treat insomnia.
Benefits and Effects of CBN:
- CBN is considered a powerful pain reliever.
- It is a very potent compound when it comes to aiding sleep. CBN is a sedative compound and may give you drowsy effects thus inducing a good sleep.
- CBN is also beneficial in boosting your appetite.
- It is also a powerful anti-inflammatory agent helping in reduction of inflammation in your body.
- Cannabinol can also be useful in promoting the healing of bone cells and recovering of bones.
- CBN has been found to reduce a type of a Lung tumor called the Lewis lung carcinoma. It also creates an impact on the cells that cause cancer growth.
5. CBC- Cannabichromene
This cannabinoid was discovered 50 years back but has not been researched extensively. CBC is produced from CBC and does not bind well with the CB1 receptors thus having no or zero psychoactive effects.
Cannabichromene is said to be providing entourage effects and works amazingly when combined with other cannabinoids such as CBD and THC.
This cannabinoid is said to bind with other receptors in our body such as vanilloid receptor 1 (TRPV1) and transient receptor potential ankyrin 1 (TRPA1)
Benefits and Effects of CBC:
- CBC has shown a positive impact in reducing Edema and inflammation of the intestinal tract.
- It can also fight cancer due to its ability of interaction with the anandamide endocannabinoid in our body.
- These endocannabinoids have been studied to inhibit the growth of breast-tumour.
- CBC has also been studied in reducing pain and inflammation occurring due to
- CBC can be considered as a strong inhibitor of acne.
- This cannabinoid has also shown a positive effect on the neural stem progenitor cells (NSPCs) which are important for healthy functioning of the brain.
6. THCV- Tetrahydrocannabivarin
THCV was originally discovered in 1973 and is gaining importance due to its some great benefits. This cannabinoid is found in very low quantity on the cannabis plant. If consumed in large doses, it has the power to induce psychoactive effects but its production is limited in any cannabis strain.
Benefits and Effects of THCV:
- In a clinical trial, 62 people were supplemented with a specific formula of CBD and THCV. The results showed the positive impact of these cannabinoids in various areas such as reduction in glucose levels, lowered blood pressure, fasting insulin levels, and reduction in inflammation.
- THCV has also stopped seizure activities in epilepsy.
- This cannabinoid can also be useful in treating panic disorders such as anxiety attacks and PTSD.
- It is also beneficial in treating Parkinson’s Disease due to its binding with the endocannabinoid receptors.
So, we studied the six major cannabinoids and their various benefits in treating different health issues. A lot of research still needs to be done in studying these cannabinoids as well as other hundreds of cannabinoids present in the hemp plant. They can be a lot helpful and the ultimate organic future for their therapeutic and healing benefits.
We hope you found this article informative. If you have any suggestions, for us, please let us know in the comment section below!